The Council will allocate funds to twin Sydney
The Council will allocate funds to twinning strategy after Brexit.
Allocation of more council cash to secure essential twinning links with other countries is only possible once Brexit has been initiated. The city councillors have discussed the potential to earmark money for the twinning strategy instead of finding funds on ad hoc basis. Portsmouth has many cultural and economic links with locations all across the world that include Caen in France, Duisburg in Germany, Zhuhai in China and Sydney in Australia.
More links have been recently formed including Sylhet in Bangladesh, and they have made plans to create further trade and educational ties with China. Lord Mayor and head of the Portsmouth Pensioners Association, Alan Burnett said in his statement that it is not a domestic issue. Still, it is essential for the economy in Portsmouth that is twinned with the global economy.
Other News by This Author
As Sydney looms, Blitzboks in recovery mode.
The Springbok Sevens squad is all set to tackle Argentina, Samoa and France in Pool B of the HSBC Sydney Sevens this weekend. The visit to the Land of the Long White Cloud was rather unhappy as they lost three consecutive games at FMG Stadium Waikato though they had a great start in the first two tournaments.
The Australian tournament will take place on 1st and 2nd February at Parramatta Stadium. The venue is going to be used for the first time. This is also the first time for Blitzboks to come to Australia. They have arrived after a lousy performance in New Zealand and the team management is trying to make sure that the departure back to South Africa next Monday is a happier one.
Springbok Sevens physiotherapist Hugh Everson said the recovery of the players is top of the agenda at this stage.
Sandra Sully celebrated 30 years at network 10 with Journalism Scholarship.
She is one of the most recognized faces in Australian Media. She has decided to dedicate an illustrious three decades with the system by laying down the foundation for aspiring journalists to follow her footsteps. The ‘Network 10 Sandra Sully Journalism Scholarship’ that is valued at $7.500 is going to provide support to a student who has enrolled for the Bachelor of Communication (Journalism) degree at Western Sydney University.
The student will later get a chance to work at Network 10 newsroom under a tailored work placement. Sandra said that with this scholarship, she is giving back to the community. Also, it will divert the focus a little bit away from her on her 30th anniversary.
Police looking for convicted sex offender in Sydney.
A convicted sex offender who has a history of absconding is now missing in Sydney’s eastern suburbs. Police have urged people on Sunday to help them track down Sean Broaders, who is 56-years old. He was last seen on Easy Street at Randwick just before 8 pm on Saturday. He has been convicted several times for sex offences. Back in 2007, he absconded from a secure psychiatric hospital in Melbourne.
Later he was spotted six days later in Adelaide, and he had shaved off his beard to become unrecognizable. Police said in a statement that he requires regular medication. They described him as thin and bald, with a grey-and-white beard.
Other News Sydney
Sydney flight key link in Australia's effort to contain coronavirus.
There are two possible cases of coronavirus under investigation by New South Wales Health officials among hundreds of airline passengers who flew from Wuhan to Sydney with a man infected with the deadly disease. As per the authorities, there have been three cases of the deadly virus in Sydney so far that brought the national total of confirmed cases to four.
A man who is in his 50s was the first confirmed case in Australia yesterday. Two men who were diagnosed in Sydney travelled to Wuhan, and one person was in direct contact with a confirmed case while he was in China. One of the men who are in the 30s arrived in Sydney from China on January 6th, but he did not develop symptoms until January 15th when he finally visited the doctor.
The second man who is 40 years old arrived on January 18th after spending time in Wuhan, but he had not shown any symptoms until last Friday.
Sydney finds new ways to mark the day of Mourning with a Buŋgul, a procession, an overnight vigil.
A procession was weaved through Sydney after an exhilarating celebration of Dr G Yunupingu. The city commemorated “the day before the country changed”. Everyone was invited to join and be with the community. The elders carried smoke with them.
People were singing songs. The number of procession keeps growing. The festival event much before landing at Barangaroo for the Vigil which was part of artistic director Wesley Enoch’s commitment to finding new ways to mark 26 January.
Women danced and sprayed water from the harbour to cleanse the land. The headland that was named for another spirited Cammeraygal woman, Barangaroo, 250 Aboriginal flags were flown as more people greeted the procession. Some stayed until dawn.
The fire kept on burning and reflected what life was like before the first fleet landed, and before the Union Jack was planted.
Sydney airport on high alert amid coronavirus scares.
The spread of coronavirus grips the world, and the Sydney airport is also on high alert. As per date, the health authorities have confirmed three cases of coronavirus in New South Wales that brings the nationwide total to four. Three men who were in their 30s, 40s, and 50s are getting treatment in Westmead Hospital in Sydney, and they are under isolation.
Jenny Mikakos, who is Victorian Health Minister, said in his statement that a case of the respiratory condition had been confirmed in a man who returned from China last week. He was in his 50s and was in Australia for six days before he got diagnosed. So far, 41 people have lost their lives in China, and over 1200 have confirmed with the deadly diseases. Brad Hazzard, who is the NSW Health Minister, said that18 people across the state had been diagnosed to date.
Other News Australia
New heat wave in SA
People in Adelaide and South Australia have to prepare for a new heat wave in the state. Hot temperature which took place in western part of the country is moving towards South. Meteorologists inform about three very hot days in the middle of this week. Heat can be abnormal so even healthy people can feel very bad. Moreover, high temperature kills more people than any other natural phenomenon. They advise not to come out without a very important reason.
It is expected about 40 degrees in Adelaide with no relief at night. It also can lead to bigger fire danger despite late rains especially in South Australia. And as summer is far from the end, it is no the last heat wave yet.
Drug lab exploded in Adelaide
Some days ago emergency services were called to the South of Adelaide. A building exploded. Two people: a man and a woman were seriously injured and a part of the building was destroyed. Residents of the house say they smelt some chemical scent in the air before explosion. They were quickly evacuated as the building could fall. Police say it is very fortunately that no resident was hurt and no fire was caused.
Officers guess that explosion happened in a drug lab in this house, though it is still dangerous to enter the house. They ask anyone, who knows something about alleged drug labs to turn to police. Officers are going to interview injured people as soon as possible.
Help for hurt koalas in SA
This summer has become a real tragedy for koalas. A lot of them suffered and died during bushfires across Australian states and of course South Australia. So recently the government has decided to help poor animals. They gave one million dollars to employees of SA zoos. They are helping koalas suffered in bushfires on Kangaroo Island and SA.
Environment Minister visited Adelaide and the zoos and thanked all the people who give so much needed aid for animals. She adds the government is open for helping zoos in restoring Australian wild nature.
A spokeman of the zoos says the most widespread koala injure is burnt paws. It is a real problem for them. Workers are going to visit Kangaroo Island again for saving animals.
Other world news
Волгоградскую медсестру будут судить за причинение вреда ребенку.
В отношении старшей медсестры отделения интенсивной терапии одного из медицинских учреждений в городе Волгоград было проведено уголовное расследование. Женщина обвиняется по статье «Причинение тяжкого вреда здоровью по неосторожности из-за ненадлежащего выполнения своих профессиональных обязанностей».
Следствие установило, что жительница Волгограда была доставлена в больницу на седьмом месяце беременности из-за того, что у нее начались роды. Женщине было сделано кесарево сечение, после чего ребенка поместили в кувез. К мальчику было подключено устройство для поддержки его жизни. Через некоторое время мама ребенка заметила ожоги на лице и частичную потерю носа.
Обследование показало, что новорожденный получил травму из-за неправильной установки специального оборудования для подачи кислорода.
Наталья Рудник, старший помощник начальника отдела следственного управления Следственной комиссии Российской Федерации по Волгоградской области, сказала, что следствие собрало достаточную доказательную базу. В ближайшее время медсестра ответит за свою халатность перед судом.
In Hong Kong was announced the creation of a vaccine for coronavirus
As noted, it will only be possible to start using it after clinical trials.
According to the researchers, testing of the vaccine on animals will take months, and it will be possible to go to tests in humans at best only in the next year, and only then start its widespread use.Coronavirus vaccines are also being developed in central China and the United States.
Поселковый глава не смог выбраться из снежных завалов в Омской области.
Мало того, что жители Омска страдают от снежных завалов, чьи жалобы на заснеженные дороги зимой регулярно появляются в социальных сетях, так, в сельском поселении Бергамак в Муромцевском районе Омской области глава попал в беду: жители деревни «поймали» главу поселка в автомобиле, застрявшем посреди дороги в снегу.
На фотографиях, которыми местные жители поделились в социальных сетях, видно, как машина главы сельского поселения Бергамак Сергея Соловьева застряла в снегу. Судя по всему, участник событий не смог выехать из снежного завала и вызвал трактор "Беларус" на помощь. Фотографии происходящего, предположительно, были сделаны накануне 27 января.
Напомним, что в январе 2017 года деревни Кокшенево, Лисино и Окунево, которые являются частью сельского поселения Бергамак в Муромцевском районе, уже появлялись в новостях по аналогичной причине. Потом была жалоба на неочищенный снег.
Причина этих обстоятельств, по-видимому, заключается в несоответствии между протяженностью сельских дорог и количеством выпавших на них осадков с финансовой возможностью администрации на уборку снежных завалов.